Thursday, March 26, 2009

sadness with job well done.

We had parent teacher conferences this week. All of the kids are doing so well in school. I am amazed. With moving, and both Jeff and I working, we don't know if we are coming or going. Emery's teacher sent home this poem and as I was reading it I couldn't help think about how quickly time flies (and sheddin a few tears). I have three in school and it really seems like it has not been that long since I had three in diapers and wishing for time to fly so they would be just a little bit bigger. I will never say that again. I would do it again in a minute.
I see children as kites.
You spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground. You run with them until you're breathless. They crash...hit the rooftop...you patch and comfort, adjust and they'll fly.
Finally they are airborne. They need more string and you keep letting it out. But with each twist of the ball of twine there is a sadness that goes with joy.
The kite becomes more distant and you know it won't be long before that beautiful creature will snap the lifeline that binds you together and will soar, as it's meant to soar. And you know you have done your job.

1 comment:

Pete & Leah said...

We must think alike. I like your blog background :)

Home is where you can be silent and still be heard. Where you can ask and find out who you are. Where people laugh with you about your self. Where sorrow is divided and joys multiplied. Where we share in love and grow..